Azerbaijan International

Summer 2004 (12.2)

The Ali and Nino Walking Tour
by Betty Blair and Fuad Akhundov

Taghiyev's Pasaj
Mammadamin Rasulzade 4 Alizade Street
(Olginskaya Street and Baryatinskaya Streets)

Back to Ali & Nino Walking Tour Index

Architect K. B. Skurevich. This building was owned by Oil Baron Taghiyev and built in 1896-1898. In reality, it was the first covered shopping mall to be constructed in Baku.

At that time, it was a jewelry store, which sold gold, precious stones and various national decorations and souvenirs (such as daggers) that had been made from gold, silver and other precious metals.

Taghiyev's Pasaj is not specifically mentioned in the novel, though the street is mentioned as the route on which Ali would pass when he walked to his friend's house, Ilyas Taghiyev, who lived three blocks further down on Baryatinskaya Street [present-day Alizade Street].

Back to Ali and Nino Walking Tour Index
Back to Index AI 12.2 (Summer 2004)
AI Home
| Search | Magazine Choice | Topics | AI Store | Contact us

Other Web sites created by Azerbaijan International
| |