Above: Left: Institute of Manuscripts today. This building originally housed the first Muslim boarding school for girls, and was named the Empress Alexandra Muslim Girls' School. It was built and sponsored by Oil Baron Zeynalabdin Taghiyev who wanted so much to give girls the opportunity to become highly educated.
Right: Interior of Institute of Manuscripts. Photo: Litvin.
This building originally housed the first Muslim boarding school for girls, and was named the Empress Alexandra Muslim Girls' School. It was the first secular European-style school for girls in the city. The building was owned by Zeynalabdin Taghiyev and designed by Polish architect Joseph V. Goslavski (1865-1904). It was under construction between 1898 and 1901. It opened its doors in 1901 and operated for nearly 18 years. Between 1918 and 1920, the building served as the Parliament for the short-lived Democratic Republic of Azerbaijan. Today, it houses the Institute of Manuscripts and contains many rare Arabic script documents about Azerbaijani literature and medicine.
The building is not mentioned in "Ali & Nino" but is adjacent to Ali's high school on what was Nikolayevskaya Street which had three major educational institutions within the walking distance of one block: the schools of Ali and Nino, plus this one.
Back to Ali and Nino Walking Tour Index
Back to Index AI 12.2 (Summer 2004)
AI Home | Search | Magazine Choice | Topics | AI Store | Contact us
Other Web sites created by Azerbaijan International
AZgallery.org | AZERI.org | HAJIBEYOV.com